Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Peaking Ugly

It's peak season for this year's fall marathon, and I'm experiementing with a new tactic during these few critic weeks when you really want to racchet up your conditioning and get your head ready to meet all physical and mental challenges on the big day. I'm laying down. Why run and tire myself out, it never made me faster before. Labor Day, the day I always put in a 18 to 20-miler, I slept for, oh, 18 to 20 hours. Oddly, I felt about as good I usually do after the long run-- fatigued to the point I layed down again.

If this summer went from good to bad to ugly, I'm deep in ugly now. On the back side of my stomach flu and still trying to shake an upper respiratory infection that's been dogging me for three weeks, I'm at the point where I can now run a day then need a day(s) to recover after my body revolts. When this cycle ends, I don't know. Meanwhile, me and the hours whither away till race day. Let me lay down and think about it.

No comments: